About Me

My photo
This is a blog with stories inspired by a muse known as Eddie. I respect this man thoroughly and I do not mean to insult him in any way. This is just a fantasy. Please leave comments. I write for myself mainly, but an occasional comment is highly appreciated.

Saturday 17 January 2015

Stray, part 2


The day that I met them, the dog and the boy, I will never forget.
There was a hard wind that day. And it did not make it easy for me to cycle along the shore. The sun was hidden behind a grey sky. I was wondering if it was going to rain. I was not dressed for rain, in my cotton dress with flower prints. So I hurried.
The gulls were flying real low, the beach seemed deserted except for an old beetle Volkwagen painted in stealth black and yellow dots. I had to laugh when I saw that.
At that moment a dog game spurting from the dunes. Straight at me.
I tried to avoid collision, but the dog came after me. So I pedalled harder. But the dog jumped in front of my bike. I had to stop. I shooed it away but it grabbed the skirt of my dress and pulled. Then the dog let me go and started barking and turning, barking and turning, running to the beach, coming back, barking and turning.

I have seen enough Lassie TV-shows to know what was wanted of me. So I took my bike and followed the dog. Into the dunes, on the beach.
And there it was. The body of a young man. Flat on his belly. Didn't know if he was dead or alive. So I dropped my bike and ran to him. It might be a close call.
Carefully I turned him on his side. I brushed the hair from his face. His eyes were closed. He had the most beautiful face I ever saw on a young man. Like that of an angel. My heart must have skipped a beat when I looked at him. But there was no time to admire.
I felt in his neck if there was still a pulse, then opened his mouth to see if there was anything stuck in his throat. Turned him on his back and performed CPR.
His lips were still warm, his chest was firm and muscled. I had to push real hard.
The dog was circling around me and the boy. It was a she-dog. Perhaps she was jealous. Or just concerned.
I listened to his heart. It was beating. But he was not breathing yet. So again I pinched his nose and put my mouth over his to blow all the air I had into my longs into his.

And then he exhales, coughs. I quickly turn him on his side and all the water that was in his longs and stomach comes out. He wants to crawl up, but I push him on his back and hold him.
I say: "Careful! You have injured your head. Probably you got hit by your board. The waves are big today. The sea is violent."
He turns on his side and the dog licks his face. And the boy embraces the dog, pets her head. Buddies.
"She warned me." I tell him. "You should be very grateful."
He talks to the dog. His voice is a bit raspy, but also very low. Resonates somehow.
I must have made a strange sound because he suddenly looked at me, into my eyes, and then I saw his cheeks colour. And I felt my cheeks turn red too. I could have drowned in his eyes, but he lower them, bashful.
The dog begins to bark, happily wagging her tail. Then she jumps up to me and licks my face. I fall on my back. And the dog slobbers my face, my hair and my ears.
"Yes, yes, yes, I'm happy too." I push her away, giggling.
The boy looks at me, his hair falling over his face.
"Thank you," he mouths. "Thank you for saving me."
"The dog saved you." I blush. "Best get you to a hospital. To check your head injury. And I don't know how long you have been unconscious."
He nods, combing his hair out of his face.
"That car, is it yours?" I point at the Beetle.

Silently he sits beside me while I drive him to the ER.
I almost jump as he suddenly speaks, with a low vibrant voice.
"I don't have insurance."
I look at him sideways.
"Why not?"
"Can't afford it."
"Parents?"
"Nah, kicked out."
"Don't worry," I say. "I'm an intern."
He looks at me. Impressed. He bobs his head. Like a dope head. Crooked smile.
"Cool." He says.
"Yes, cool." I grit my teeth.


In the ER my fellow intern Jodi and some of the nurses keep swarming around him while I do tests. Even when I take him to radiology they follow us.
"Where did you find him?" Jodi whispers.
"He washed ashore." I respond. "He is a merman."
"Can I have him?"
"No."
When I look behind me the merman is being pampered by the nurses, but he looks at me. I look away.
I scan the stats and everything seems okay.
"Your fine," I tell him. "You should eat more, though. Let me take you home."
"Thanks, doc. But I guess I can drive myself?"
"I need my bike."
"Let's go. Let me bring you home." He does a you Jane, me Tarzan on me.
Charming. I laugh.
"Okay."
When we get outside the dog, who had been waiting -like a good girl, welcomes us.

Back at my place he takes of my bike from the roof rack. I invite him in and when he steps into my house he softly whistles, admiring the place.
It is true. I have a nice apartment. Living, open kitchen, bedroom, bathroom. A bit like a loft. He walks to my sound system, kneels in front of the albums. Picks out a few. And sniffs them. Sniffs them? He then chooses one. Delicately handles the record and places it on the player.
Music fills the room.
"I like your choice." I said. "Based on smell?"
He laughs. A hoarse, sexy sound. "The Gist. A shame that band only released one album."
I crouch next to him. Look at him sideways as he keeps scanning my records.
"I'm amazed." He says, combing his fingers through his thick wavy hair. "It's post punk paradise." Smiling he stares into my eyes. I look away. Too much beauty then I can handle. He softly puts his hand around my cheek, his thumb brushing my lips.
"Thank you." He whispers, then draws me to him. I feel his breath on my mouth, but I hear a bark.
The dog pushes between us, happily wagging her tail.
I stand up.
"She needs something to eat and a bowl of water. I have cat food. Would she mind?"
"I'm sure she'll appreciate it. And so do I."


There are some leftovers in the fridge and I take some out, put them in the microwave. I open a bottle of red wine. Fill two glasses. Pet the dog, who only needed three seconds to empty the bowl of cat food.
"So you liked it, huh?" And to him. "What's her name actually?"
"Dunno." He said. "She found me yesterday. She's a stray."
"And you?" I ask.
Silence.
I return to him with a tray. He is still kneeled in front of my records. When I approach he jumps up to take over the tray, but supports himself against the wall.
"Dizzy?"
"Yeah."
"That's quite normal after that blow on your head. Sit down. You are my guest."
He sits on the couch as I put the food and the wine glasses on the coffee table. I hand him a plate and cutlery and he begins to eat with taste. Good. That is a good sign.
The dog is with him, but takes her distance, as if she knows it is not her time to eat.
She adores him and I can not blame her.

When we finish our meal he collects the plates and brings them to the kitchen, runs the hot water and starts to wash them.
"Don't. I have a dishwasher. Thank you."
He turns and leans against the counter.
I clear my throat as I watch him standing there. He is perfectly proportioned. Tight belly, broad shoulders, strong thighs and that wonderful long hair. But his face really enchants me. He has the face of an elf. Never seen such a face but in my fantasies.
As in a trance I stand up and walk to him. He lowers his gaze and looks at his hands, shy suddenly.
Standing real close, almost with my body against his,I tangle my fingers through his hair. Comb a lock behind his ear. He looks me in the eyes now.
Even though he is small, I am smaller still. That surprizes me. I thought I was bigger, but I'm glad he is a head taller. I don't know why I'm thinking this. But the next thing I do is stand on my toes and give him a soft kiss on his lips. His lips are soft. The way they look, soft.
He gives a small sigh. Up close his lashes are impossibly long.
"It's best if you go home now. Get some rest." I say.
My hand rests on his chest. He lifts his hand to hold it there. I feel his heart beat.
"Can't I stay?" He asks.
He bows his head and brushes his mouth over my lips.
"Better not."
"Why?"
"Don't ask."
"Why not?"
"Lot's of reasons, and none of them really good right now. So please go, before I change my mind."
Softly I push him to the door. He chuckles, but goes.
At the door he turns.
"Will I see you again, doc?"
"Sure." I say.
He whistles the dog and she comes immediately. Both step through the door and as he pushes it shut I hear him say.
"I would like that."



I lean against the door and take a deep breath. After some minutes standing there, leaning against the door, getting my wits back, I go to the kitchen and clean up and after that I take a long shower. I have to get up early. In fact, I have get up in 5 hours. First shift. "Doc." His voice echos in my mind.
When I lie in my bed I think of the boy and his stray dog. I shake my head, try to clear my mind, think of his eyes and then fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment