About Me

My photo
This is a blog with stories inspired by a muse known as Eddie. I respect this man thoroughly and I do not mean to insult him in any way. This is just a fantasy. Please leave comments. I write for myself mainly, but an occasional comment is highly appreciated.

Friday 30 January 2015

Nanny in San Diego, part 2



I am staring at the young man who is watching his feet kicking up the sand a bit, while Diego - the pool boy - is talking. About me, about himself, about his car.
The surf dude's beautiful long hair has some streaks of blond in it, bleached by the Californian sun.
Behind one ear, the half shaved side, is a thin braid. Bound together with a thread and at the end dangles a small wet feather, moved by the sea breeze it is softly stroking his tan brown shoulder. I don't know why, but looking at that detail I feel a violent lurch inside my belly. I catch my breath, which makes the surf dude look up. Curious. His head a bit crooked. He smiles at me, making my stomach move again. Butterflies.

"Okay. Come on, Lotte." Diego says while he puts his arm around my shoulders, leading me away. "Lets take a dive. See ya, Ed."
I look back over my shoulder and see Eddie stroking his hair behind his ears. He still smiles, then turns and runs the other way.

The water is delightful although the surf is rather fierce sometimes. Diego got his board in the water and sometimes catches a wave. He is trying to teach me how to stand upon a board. But I am not really talented. I keep falling off. Most of the time we float a bit and he is talking about his life here, in San Diego, how he got here and about his group of friends - about hanging out and parties at the beach. Their lives seem to be all about the beach. I wonder if he even has a house or only his car and his surfboard. Sometimes friends of his join us. Then I swim back to the beach and sit on the sand, with my head on my knees - watch him and his mates riding the waves. It is impressive to see and their enthusiasm is catching.
Sometimes I think I see Eddie among them too. He is like a dolphin. Slick and lean. Braking through the waves.

Slowly the sun is setting.

"Are you hungry?" Diego asks.
We sit in the warm sand, watching the sun go down.
"Yes, I could eat something." I say.
"Alright then. My friends are over there, building a fire. We could join them. Wait here, Chica. I'll get some things, buy cold drinks. Do you want wine or beer?"
"Beer, please. But can't I help you?"
"Nah, not necessary. Thanks. I also brought food. Mexican food!" He winks. "Just stay here and wait for me, pretty lady."

I inhale deeply. It is so beautiful here. The sound of the surf, seagulls and I hear music. guitar play, drumming. The sunset is incredible. The most gorgeous colours mix and get reflected in the sea. The sea is almost like the one at home, but far more exotic and untamed. Suddenly I feel happy. I could live here.

When I look behind me I can see Diego descending the dunes with a cool box and some paper bags with food. He also brought a blanket. I take a paper bag and we walk towards the now burning fire where his friends are gathered.
It is a group of young people, my age and some a bit older. They make me feel comfortable around them, but they don't seem to be really interested in me. They are a real gang.
Diego hands me a beer and a dark haired girl with braids and a Rastafarian coloured beanie siting next to me passes me a joint. I shake my head and return it. She then gives it to Diego. I just don't want to smoke in a foreign country.

"So it's not true what they say about the Dutch, Lotte. Or are you an exception." Diego says.
I raise my shoulders. Take a sip of my beer and stare into the fire. I think of home. Can't help missing my friends. I wish they were here too. They would love it here, and I wouldn't be so shy.
Diego is talking and laughing with two men and a girl. They are poking into the fire, trying to build it higher when I suddenly hear a deep but soft voice right beside me.
"Hi Lotte."
It is Eddie.
"Do you mind if I sit next to you?" He asks.














No comments:

Post a Comment